Wednesday, February 08, 2006


Okay so I havent done the geyser yet. I had severe cold and fever and I couldnt paint..
So instead of not updating the blog I thought I will still post what I have. I learnt portrait painting from Dorris Hays in Renton. She was a very good teacher and the class was usually from 6.00-9.00 PM. Although I did not complete the class and any of these paintings I still have very good memories of the class and a christmas party we had at our teachers place.

This is from National Geographic. I liked her smile and the leaves that covered her hair.
Although my teacher didnt like the way I did her smile. She says that we dont have so many
teeth showing in the front when we smile...Try counting them.. She is right.




















This is another one from National Geographic..I really dont know these ladies personally. I feel she is little haughty arrogant by her looks. I can still say she is pretty. I felt her eyes could have been done better. There are no wrinkles on the sides..























- Next week I will have the geyser done.

11 comments:

arvindh said...

Excellent paintings. Cant wait to see your geyser being rendered!

Jeevan said...

super drawings, the second is very nice. which paint u use to draw these?. like u r teacher said, u should little close her teath, if u cover the full teath it will not look good.

priyums said...

arvindh, thanks..I havent started the geyser..really hard to get the effect I got to try it this week end..

Jeevan- I keep reading your blogs..I used pastels (I never knew what they were in India). They are like crayons to look at but when you paint they are like chalk. You basically paint the darks and lift the lights..So I would put a dark color for the eyes..and the skin and lift off color at the lighter parts of the skin. The lifting off could be done with hand or with some cloth, fabric or even tissue. We can try this with charcoal in India. I think we get pastels..I am not sure landmark - paisa theetiduvan..

Yes this is my first try ..I need to try more. Do you like Maruthis paintings of women in tamil mags..

cutefreaky said...

Hey Priya, this is sukhanya. I know i have not called u for almost a month now. Let me know if you need any help, I can come down to ur place if you want anything urgently :-). Take care of ur health n hope to meet u soon. will call u smtime this week end :-)

tata
sukku

Balaji S Rajan said...

Came from PK's blog. Quite different to see someone having started a painting blog. Very impressive. As you have rightly said in PK's comments section, youngsters of nowadays need to return to basics. Keep continuing your good work.

ashok said...

Its nice to see a painting blog...Priyums,I'd love to see u try some original stuff rather than looking to imitate from mags and fotos...that gives more satisfaction..trust me!

priyums said...

balaji - thanks! I hope I will keep this up..
Ashok - yes you are right. I should paint what I feel..what I want to express..
But sometimes I want to paint outdoors..some scene that inspires me..its cold out here so I just click a snap and try it back at home. I will post more originals soon..! And I saw your art and architecture blog..amazing..

ashok said...

tanx...
and regarding this painting, i dont see anything wrong with the teeth. I can hardly count 9 and there are some people who show upto 12. Maybe ur teacher had not seen 'BIG smilers'.

Anonymous said...

This painting can be the answer to monalisa, in it's own sense ..

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Amana deep freezers Theme furniture Jobs + johnson ity + ny

Anonymous said...

What a great site »